Share Tweet Email US PRESIDENT DONALD Trump’s pick for labour secretary Andrew Puzder has withdrawn from consideration after facing intense scrutiny for his business record and controversies about his personal past.The 66-year-old fast-food executive is the first of Trump’s cabinet nominees to withdraw, dealing a new blow to the president on the heels of the resignation of his embattled national security chief.“I am withdrawing my nomination for Secretary of Labor. I’m honored to have been considered and am grateful to all who have supported me,” Puzder tweeted.In a statement to US media, Puzder said he reached his decision “after careful consideration and discussions with my family.”“While I won’t be serving in the administration, I fully support the president and his highly qualified team,” he said.The White House confirmed Puzder’s departure, with press secretary Sean Spicer simply saying: Short URL Feb 16th 2017, 8:18 AM Thursday 16 Feb 2017, 8:18 AM By AFP 15,129 Views He withdrew.Concern swelled this year about Puzder’s labour practices and positions, with critics blasting him for opposing a minimum wage for US workers.He also admitted he had failed to pay taxes on an undocumented employee – although he paid back taxes long afterward. And he faced embarrassing questions related to a messy divorce that he went through several years ago. Trump and Puzder pictured in November. Source: Carolyn KasterTo be confirmed in his post Puzder needed the support of at least 51 out of 100 Senators. But he was staunchly opposed by Democrats and had lost the support of several of the chamber’s 52 Republican Senators.“Andy Puzder made the right and honourable choice by withdrawing from consideration as labor secretary,” Republican Senator Marco Rubio said in a tweet.The top Senate Democrat, Chuck Schumer, described the withdrawal as “a victory for the American worker”.“Puzder should never have even been nominated to lead the Labor Department, and Senate Republicans clearly recognised this too,” he said.If President Trump is remotely serious about standing up for workers, he will nominate someone for Labor Secretary that champions workers’ rights rather than suppresses them.Puzder’s confirmation hearing, after a number of postponements, had been set for today, when Democratic and Republican senators alike would have had a chance to grill him over his record as head of the parent company of the Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr restaurant chains.His withdrawal comes just two days after the explosive resignation of Trump’s top aide Michael Flynn, who is accused of lying to White House colleagues about his contacts with Russian officials.© – AFP 2017Read: Second woman arrested in Malaysia over North Korea assassination >Read: Ireland’s corporate watchdog is suffering from a chronic staff shortage > In further blow, Trump’s pick for cabinet post withdraws under cloud of controversy 66-year-old fast-food executive Andrew Puzder is the first of Trump’s cabinet nominees to withdraw. https://jrnl.ie/3242356 42 Comments Tweet thisShare on FacebookEmail this article
New Delhi: Replying in the Lok Sabha on motion of thanks on President’s Address, Prime Minister Narendra Modi came down heavily on the Congress saying the main Opposition party has lost connect with the masses. Modi said that the Congress and its leaders had “risen so high” that they “could not see the ground”. “I wish you go even higher,” he said, drawing laughter from lawmakers. Also Read – Key aide of PM opts outof service Advertise With Us “Our aim is to remain closer to the people at the grassroots and strengthen them. We don’t want to grow taller like you but remain connected with roots. Don’t want to disconnect with masses,” he said. Invoking Emergency, Modi said the nation’s soul was crushed on June 25, 1975. “A few people were constantly asking during the debate – Who did it? Who did it? I want to ask them – today is 25th June. Also Read – After liquor, Bihar bans ‘pan masala’ as well Advertise With Us Who imposed the Emergency? Who trampled over the spirit of the Constitution, gagged the media and bullied the judiciary? We can’t forget those dark days,” Modi said triggering thumping desks from treasury benches. He went on to attack the Gandhis accusing them of ignoring the contributions of leaders like PV Narasimha Rao and Manmohan Singh. Advertise With Us “People outside the family don’t get recognition. Did those in power from 2004 to 2014 ever talk about the good work of Atal ji? Did they ever speak about the good work of Narasimha Rao Ji? In this Lok Sabha debate the same people did not even speak of Manmohan Singh Ji,” Modi said. On Monday, speaking on the floor of the House, Congress leader in Lok Sabha Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury mocked the BJP and compared Modi to ‘gandi naali’. He said the saffron party won general election because Modi was a ‘very big salesman’ and the Congress couldn’t gain grounds as it could not market its products. The Prime Minister was present in the House when Chowdhury made these comments.