Work on Kirkstown Road to be carried out next year

first_img Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Twitter Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction DL Debate – 24/05/21 FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 AudioHomepage BannerNews Work on Kirkstown Road to be carried out next year Previous articleTour guides for Grianan of Aileach a step closerNext articleFears Brexit will have detrimental consequences for peace process News Highland Facebook Google+ WhatsAppcenter_img Google+ By News Highland – September 14, 2018 WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Pinterest Twitter It’s hoped works will be carried out on the Kirkstown Road in Letterkenny next year, with Donegal County Council officials saying the road is included on draft programme for work on local roads in 2019.The issue was raised by Councillor Adrian Glackin, who told the council that the road is now in a serious state of disrepair.He says some basic repairs have been carried out, but a more comprehensive approach is needed:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Aidykitytytytrks1pm-1.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Pinterest Facebook Harps come back to win in Waterford last_img read more

Cuomo spares real estate in plan to close $6B budget gap

first_imgGovernor Andrew Cuomo outlines strategies for the 2021 New York Budget (Credit: Flickr)New York is facing a $6.1 billion budget deficit, but Gov. Andrew Cuomo said new revenue streams — for example, a controversial high-end real estate tax — are not how he will close it.Cuomo outlined his annual budget proposal Tuesday, calling for the revival of a panel tasked with reforming the state’s Medicaid program and freezing spending on local assistance programs.“This is not the time to come up with creative, although irresponsible, revenue sources to solve a problem that doesn’t really exist,” Cuomo said.Simply finding Medicaid efficiencies and reducing projected spending increases will suffice to bridge the gap, he said.During his State of the State address earlier this month, Cuomo hinted at forcing New York City and other local governments to pay for a larger portion of their Medicaid cost increases, which collectively account for $2 billion of this year’s budget gap.ADVERTISEMENTInstead, the governor said Tuesday that the state will continue to pay for Medicaid spending growth, provided it doesn’t exceed 3 percent and local governments abide by the state’s 2 percent cap on property tax growth. Meanwhile a reprisal of his Medicaid Redesign Team will determine how to restructure that health care program with the aim of achieving $2.5 billion in savings before the budget is due April 1, the governor said.During last year’s budget negotiations, the governor pushed for an annual pied-à-terre tax on properties valued at $5 million or more at a sliding rate from 0.5 percent to 4 percent on homes valued at $25 million and more. Instead, Albany approved a “mansion tax” on residential sales along with an increased transfer tax. Those taxes, along with new internet sales taxes, are helping to cover $10 billion of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s 2020-2024 capital program.But Cuomo said Tuesday that he will not rely on tax increases this year.Still, State Sen. Brad Hoylman has indicated that he plans to revive the pied-à-terre tax proposal this session. And two legislators have introduced a bill to tax mezzanine lending.The governor, addressing legislators in Albany, also mentioned that he would work with them to establish a “fair prevailing wage” — an apparent reference to efforts to expand the state’s definition of public works, which require a high wage scale for construction workers. It was not immediately clear if an expansion of prevailing wage will be included in Cuomo’s budget bills, which the administration yet to release.The governor and Legislature aim to pass a state budget before the state’s new fiscal year begins in April. This content is for subscribers only.Subscribe Nowlast_img read more

$1.8M in computer equipment donated to Secondary Schools

first_img 301 Views   2 comments Sharing is caring! EducationLocalNewsSecondary $1.8M in computer equipment donated to Secondary Schools by: Dominica Vibes News – September 21, 2018 The Ministry of Education and Human Resource Development has donated 1.8 million dollars worth of computer equipment to Secondary Schools Principals to assist students in learning.The computer equipment was donated during a short ceremony at the Newtown Primary School on Friday 21 September 2018.Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education and Human Resource Development Chandler Hyacinth said the Ministry of Education is committed to investing in the education system, for a better learning environment.“I want to implore our principals to use the computers for enhance learning they are for the specific purpose of infusing learning with ICT to expose our students to information and new ideas for enhancing the classroom experiences,” Mrs. Chandler.Mrs. Hyacinth encouraged the principals to take care of the new equipment the schools have received.Some of the equipment the Secondary Schools received include laptops, routers, desk top computers, mini laptops and charging trolleys.She said the Ministry of Education stands ready to assist principals and students, and also looks forward for the students to receive maximum benefits from the Computer equipment. Tweetcenter_img Share Share Sharelast_img read more

Former JHS, WHS, and CCHS teacher passes away

first_imgLongtime Campbell County educator Winfred Douglas will be laid to rest this afternoon on what would have been his 89th birthday.     Douglas spent his teaching career at three Campbell County High Schools, Jellico, Wynn and Campbell County High School.Douglas served in the U-S Army and was in the Korean War.His family receives friends today from noon to 2 pm at Holley-Gamble Funeral Home at Caryville with the funeral at 2 pm and the interment at Campbell Memorial Gardens.  Full military honors will be presented by the Campbell County Honor Guard. (WLAF NEWS PUBLISHED – 07/19/2018-6AM)Share this:FacebookTwitterlast_img

Suspects who allegedly shot 2 police officers shot near St. Louis taken into custody after hours-long standoff

first_imgABCNews.com(ST. LOUIS) — Two police officers were shot in the chest Thursday morning in a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri, but their bulletproof vests appeared to have saved their lives, officials said. The uniformed members of the Bellefontaine Neighbors Police Department were injured in an encounter with a gunman around 7:15 a.m. local time, but expected to survive, McGuire said. In the wake of the shooting the suspect ran down the street and barricaded himself in the house where he was believed to live, Sgt. Shawn McGuire of the St. Louis County Police Department said in a press conference Thursday afternoon. Tactical teams arrived to the home around 9:30 a.m. and tried to make contact with the suspect, McGuire said. About an hour later, the suspect yelled something at police officers, confirming that he was indeed in the home. Around 11:12 a.m., the suspect fired one round at officers through the back door of the home before retreating back inside, McGuire said. No officers were struck by the gunfire, McGuire added. By 2:45 p.m., the suspect was apprehended inside the residence after officers made entry, McGuire said. The suspect sustained one gunshot wound to the upper chest and was taken to a local hospital to be treated for non-life threatening injuries, McGuire said. The suspect did not put up a struggle when he was apprehended, and officers recovered two handguns from the home, McGuire said. McGuire said the incident began when the department received a call Wednesday night about shots fired in the suburb. Police were unable to locate the person related to the report, but they remained in the area overnight near a residence where they thought the shots potentially came from. In the morning, police received a call from a neighbor who saw someone leave the house. Two officers located the individual, a 37-year-old man, walking down the street and tried to have a dialogue with him, according to McGuire. The officers ultimately attempted to take the man into custody and a scuffle ensued. At some point, the man took out a firearm and shot the officers, McGuire said. Ballistic vests worn by the officers blocked the rounds of gunfire but they still suffered some injuries. Both were hospitalized for treatment and evaluation, according to McGuire. St. Louis County Police Department spokesman Benjamin Granda said the vests appear to have been “instrumental” in limiting the officers’ injuries. One of the officers is a 44-year-old sergeant with 22 years of law enforcement experience who has been a member of the Bellefontaine Neighbors Police Department for eight years. The other is a 25-year-old woman who has served with the department for three years, according to Granda. The firearm used to shoot the officers has not yet been recovered, McGuire said. The St. Louis County Police Department was on scene assisting with the barricaded suspect.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more