Midlands duo launch €500m Euro fund

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Division of Forestry Offering Basic Wildland Firefighter Training Locally

first_imgLocal fire suppression foreman Patrick Quiner… Quiner: “Obviously we would prefer people that are in decent physical shape but that is something that can be improved on.” Quiner: “So we cover introduction to wildland fire behavior, human factors which is a study of why we do what we do, some decision making, and then the basic firefighter training as in the nuts and bolts of putting fires out.” For more information about the training contact Steve Scales at 260-4214 or Patrick Quiner at 260-4270. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Free basic training to be a wildland firefighter will be offered through the Soldotna Division of Forestry office beginning April 22. The training ranges from April 22 -24, and April 29 – May 1 with times of classes as follows: 6-10 p.m. on 4/22 and 4/29 and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on 4/23, 4/24, 4/30 and 5/1. That means a wildland firefighter trained in Alaska can be sent to any of the Lower 48 states to assist crews combat wildfires. Quiner says really the only requirement to take the training is that individuals must be available for the five day training and be a minimum of 18-years-old as of May 1. Full attendance of those classes is mandatory to pass the course. Upon completion, students will receive the nationally recognized Red card, which identifies cardholders as rated as the basic Type II firefighter.last_img read more

Unbeaten Edgar holds off Stratford boys basketball

first_imgBreit leads Tigers with 21 pointsBy Paul LeckerSports ReporterEDGAR — Edgar pulled ahead by seven at halftime, and it proved to be enough as the Wildcats topped Stratford 57-50 in a nonconference boys basketball game Tuesday night at Edgar High School.Edgar remains undefeated this season, improving to 7-0. Stratford drops to 4-3.Edgar led 25-18 at halftime, and both teams scored 32 points in the second half as the Tigers were unable to catch up.Vaughn Breit scored 21 points, and Brenden Fecker added 15 for Stratford. The two of them combined to make 15 of 27 shots from the field and 6 of 11 from 3-point range, and the rest of the Tigers were just 4 of 16 from the field.Stratford plays at Marathon in a Marawood Conference South Division game Friday at 7:15 p.m.(Hub City Times Sports Reporter Paul Lecker is also the publisher of MarshfieldAreaSports.com.)Wildcats 57, Tigers 50Stratford 18 32 – 50Edgar 25 32 – 57STRATFORD (50): Brenden Fecker 6-11 3-5 15, Cole Hoffmann 0-6 2-2 2, Okley Wrensch 0-0 2-2 2, Lucas Heidmann 0-0 0-0 0, Paul Huther 0-2 0-0 0, Trent Heckel 3-5 0-0 8, Andrew Bargender 0-0 0-0 0, Vaughn Breit 9-16 0-0 21, Lance Heidmann 0-0 0-0 0, Jacob Danen 1-3 0-1 2. FG: 19-43. FT: 4-5. 3-pointers: 8-16 (Breit 3-5, Fecker 3-6, Heckel 2-3, Hoffmann 0-2). Rebounds: 24 (Danen 8). Turnovers: 10. Fouls: 15. Fouled out: none. Record: 4-3.EDGAR (57): Statistics not provided. Record: 7-0.last_img read more

17 days agoMore injury woe for Chelsea midfielder Charly Musonda

first_imgTagsLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say More injury woe for Chelsea midfielder Charly Musondaby Paul Vegas17 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveVitesse do not expect Chelsea loanee Charly Musonda to play again this season after another knee injury.The attacking midfielder has only managed three appearances since joining the Eredivisie outfit on a second loan spell in the summer.And the confirmation by Vitesse that it is a knee injury keeping Musonda sidelined is yet more bad news for the 22-year-old.He is now reportedly set to have treatment in West London to draw an early close to his loan stint. last_img

Video: Memphis Meteorologist Tees Off On John Calipari, Calls Him A Snake Oil Salesman

first_imgA closeup of Coach Cal.LEXINGTON, KY – JANUARY 09: John Calipari the head coach of the Kentucky Wildcats gives instructions to his team against the Texas A&M Aggies during the game at Rupp Arena on January 9, 2018 in Lexington, Kentucky. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)John Calipari coached at Memphis for nine seasons, and almost led the Tigers to a national title in 2008. But given the way he left the program, and the fact that the school had to vacate all 38 victories from that year, he isn’t the most well-liked man in town. After Sunday’s Hall of Fame interview debacle, that fact likely won’t change for some time.Calipari, during an interview after his induction, told reporters that while he loved coaching at both UMass and Memphis, he was at the “little table” in comparison with some of his colleagues. He also said that before Kentucky, he never got to “carve the turkey”, and he had to use “plastic forks and plates.”FOX 13 Memphis aired the clip this week, and meteorologist Joey Sulipeck went off on the Kentucky head coach. Sulipeck called him a snake oil salesman, and jokingly threatened Calipari to come near him when he had a plastic utensil. Here’s full video – we’ve also included a Vine, via Lost Lettermen.FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13 It’s a strong take – especially for a meteorologist. We’ll assume that Sulipeck was happy with last Saturday’s Final Four result.last_img read more

Airline operating as sole link for flyin First Nations riddled with safety

first_imgUPDATE: This story now includes responses from Transport Canada that were provided after publishing. APTN also recently interviewed a senior employee at Transport Canada and will have more on that interview soon. Additional attempts to reach Wasaya Airways have been ignored or rejected.Kenneth JacksonAPTN National NewsTransport Canada found safety problems with Wasaya Airways in every audit after one of the airline’s planes crashed, killing eight people in 2003 documents show.Despite this, Transport Canada has allowed Wasaya to fly and according to one expert it appears the feds have been “reluctant” to take a stronger approach after reviewing documents obtained by APTN.In fact, several experts told APTN they believe Transport Canada should have clipped Wasaya’s wings long ago.One northern Ontario First Nation chief had his own safety concerns and recently brought in another airline to service his community. Many northern Ontario communites depend on Wasaya for travel, including to see a doctor. Wasaya was paid more than $14 million last year from Health Canada to transport people for medical purposes.As for Wasaya, the company refuses to answer questions on safety and has been fighting behind the scenes to keep its safety audits from reaching the public based on interviews with Transport Canada.In February, confidential sources provided APTN with a Transport Canada safety audit indicating a flawed safety management system, financial records alleging mismanagement and a questionable police fraud investigation that was called off when Wasaya simply told them to stop investigating.Since then, APTN has been trying to get all of Wasaya’s safety audits going back to 2001 through Access to Information.APTN recently received almost 1,200 pages of documents from the federal department.All but 50 were blank.Wasaya convinced Transport Canada not to release the audits arguing the documents could either cause them harm, are confidential or personal information. APTN has appealed to the Information Commissioner for their release.But, what wasn’t blank paints a disturbing picture of Wasaya’s safety record.A Wasaya Airways Hawker plane collapsed in June after landing. The front end landing gear gave way. The same thing happened to the plane in October 2013. It’s since been fixed and back in the air.The first audit took place six days after the deadly crash that killed men, women and children flying to Summer Beaver First Nation in northern Ontario Sept. 11, 2003. The cause of the crash was never determined.The audit found that Wasaya was in “non conformance” in a number of safety areas based on letters to Wasaya from Transport Canada that weren’t redacted.Because the actual audits were redacted, it’s not clear what the problems were.But whatever the issue, it took the company nearly 19 months before Transport Canada was satisfied Wasaya had corrected them.Multiple times Wasaya’s submitted proposals to fix the problems but they were rejected by the federal regulators.“Responses determined unacceptable, for reasons noted, require an acceptable corrective action plan for each finding,” wrote Hanif Mawji, a manager with Transport Canada, Jan. 29, 2004. “Failure to provide responses by the above mentioned date, or failure to complete the corrective actions within the time frames specified, will be considered as failing to meet the conditions of your approved certificates.”According to the letters, Transport Canada later accepted the changes in April 2004, but a follow up inspection appeared to change that.Transport Canada didn’t officially sign off on Wasaya’s safety changes until Feb. 24, 2005 according to the documents.“”Transport Canada took immediate action following the accident in 2003 and conducted a process inspection to determine whether the company could continue to operate safely,” said a Transport Canada spokesperson. “In the case of the 2003 inspection, the company was brought into compliance with a short term CAP. The 19 month time period to accept the long term CAP does not mean that the company was operating in non-compliance, but rather that it took 19 months for the company to produce an acceptable long term CAP.”This was around the same time Transport Canada started implementing “safety management systems” that critics say basically allows airlines to regulate themselves.The goal of is SMS is to allow airlines to follow a set of safety rules and document it themselves as outlined by Transport Canada who then audit the records and interview employees to ensure the SMS is working.From the beginning it appears Wasaya didn’t grasp SMS.September 2006 – Transport Canada audits Wasaya’s Canadian Aviation Regulations and manuals and finds problems. It issues a CAP and more.“You should know that certain audit findings indicative of potential contravention of the CARs or Aeronautics Act were referred for Transport Canada Enforcement review and appropriate follow-up action,” wrote Yves Lemeiux, a regional director civil aviation, Oct. 24, 2006.What they were APTN can’t say because the pages were blank.September 2007 – Transport Canada performs an audit and issues a CAP, which Wasaya completes. The corrections are rejected Jan. 25, 2007 by Frank Decicco, civil aviation inspector with Transport Canada.Again, Wasaya is warned failure to complete the CAP could put their Air Operator Certificate in jeopardy.May 2009 – Wasaya is audited again and problems are found.Transport Canada wants another CAP on safety procedures. Decicco rejects Wasaya’s responses once again.December 2009 – An audit finds problems and a CAP is issued.January 2010 – Another audit of the Approved Check Pilot finds problems. Wasaya’s fixes are accepted in April 2010 and Transport Canada says a follow up will happen to ensure Wasaya has properly implemented changes.However, a June 2010 letter rejects Wasaya’s changes that Transport Canada had previously approved in April.April 2011 – Wasaya’s SMS is audited again to ensure the airline implemented it correctly.Transport Canada finds issues in eight categories – safety management plan, safety oversight, investigation and analysis, risk management, aircraft inspection, dangerous goods operations manual and procedures for carrying dangerous goods.Later that year, Transport Canada said they were “pleased” to sign off on Wasaya’s changes.However, Wasaya’s SMS is audited again in March 2013.APTN has a full copy of that audit, as previously reported.Despite Transport Canada’s assurances Wasaya had corrected several issues in 2011, two crept back up just two years later.The safety management plan continued to “break down”.“There were indications that the employees had started to loose (sic) respect for the process and to question their supervisor’s commitment or their ability to bring about change,” the audit reported. “There were several gaps in functionally related elements which will cause the system to continue to break down.”Issues were found, as well, with safety oversight.“With respect to the reactive and proactive investigations, the corrective actions were not always being implemented. Follow up activities reflected the failure of the implementation verses the effectiveness of the plan,” the audit reported. “Investigation, implementation and follow up are all interdependent on each other to ensure the success of the system.Those two issues were considered “moderate” but two areas were considered “major.”One major concern was management didn’t “support the completion of corrective actions.”Dave Winter used to work for Transport Canada as aviation safety inspector. He retired shortly after SMS was implemented.APTN had Winter review the 2013 safety audit in February and he said at the time he believed Wasaya should have been grounded, at least it’s what he would have done.We asked him again to review the letters APTN obtained through Access to Information.“I looked over all those pages and see that the Ontario region of Transport Canada needs to take some definitive action on the company. It seems Transport Canada is very reluctant to do anything,” said Winter. “In my opinion the company should have their certificate suspended.”Winter has never been shy to express his dislike for SMS and said it’s the reason he retired after more than 30 years on the job.However, if an airline takes SMS serious it can work he said.“Any company that buys into the system has found very good success with it, but the company must be totally committed to it which it appears Wasaya has not,” he said. “Too bad there are so many redacted pages.”A long time United Airlines pilot and current Air Canada mechanic reviewed the same documents and both concluded Transport Canada should have took a stronger stance against Wasaya.Chief Alvin Beardy of Sachigo Lake First Nation north of Thunder Bay said he grew tired of Wasaya and negotiated with North Star Air to start flying into the community.Beardy said he made the decision after a Wasaya plane flying to his community in April had an incident when a door opened mid-flight.His people were scared and concerned with Wasaya. He said it was one of several incidents he could recall.When he asked Wasaya for assurances, Beardy said he couldn’t get anyone on the phone.So he wrote Wasaya Airways President Tom Morris.“An airline carrier has a duty to maintain its aircraft in safe and working condition, and clearly failed to do so,” said Beardy. “This incident put community members’ lives at risk and it caused extreme distress and trauma to them and their families.”He then went with North Star.He’s not the only one.One of the 12 First Nation community owners signed with North Star in June as well.Behind the scenes the chief of Muskrat Dam First Nation Gordon Beardy grew tired of the financial issues internally and looked to break free of Wasaya earlier this year.It’s believed they are still technically an owner.Gordon Beardy wasn’t available to comment on this story.APTN tried to reach multiple people at Wasaya Airways and no one would return calls or emails.There was another audit APTN requested.It happened about a month before the 2003 crash and Transport Canada said it was “expunged due to expired retention periods.”Transport Canada said they take safety seriously and assured all necessary steps were followed.“Should safety deficiencies with the company be identified, the department will continue to take appropriate action,” said a spokesperson, adding, “Despite substantial increases in air traffic, Canada boasts the lowest rate of accidents in the modern era. Aviation accidents in Canada decreased by 25 per cent in the last decade and are now at an all-time low. Transport Canada inspectors inspect small and large airlines thousands of times per year.”[email protected]last_img read more

Court allows appeal on pipeline certificate says BC needs to reconsider

first_imgTina HouseAPTN News The Squamish Nation and the City of Vancouver have won an appeal that questions the federal environment assessment process which the province of B.C. relied on to issue permits for the Trans Mountain pipeline.In challenges by the Squamish Nation and Vancouver, the Court of Appeal ruled the province’s approval of the certificate was based on the original report from the National Energy Board, which was later quashed by the Federal Court of Appeal.After the National Energy Board reviewed the project for a second time, the federal government approved the pipeline expansion again.The Appeal Court says in its decision released today that in light of changes to the original report of the energy board when it reconsidered the project, provincial approval also needs to be reconsidered.B.C.’s former Liberal government approved the expansion with 37 conditions, while relying on an agreement with the energy board that would stand for a provincial environmental assessment.The three-judge panel said in its unanimous decision that through no fault of the provincial government, what is now Canada’s environmental assessment of the pipeline was not the same assessment used when B.C. approved its certificate.The court dismissed other claims by the city and the Squamish Nation including that the province failed to sufficiently consult with Indigenous groups.The Federal Court of Appeal agreed earlier this month to hear arguments from First Nations that argue they were improperly consulted before the federal government approved the pipeline expansion for the second time.The project would triple the capacity of an existing pipeline from Alberta’s oilpatch to a terminal in Burnaby, B.C.The federal government bought the existing pipeline and the unfinished expansion work for $4.5 billion last year, promising to get it past the political opposition that had scared off Kinder Morgan Canada from [email protected]@inthehouse7-with files from the Canadian Presslast_img read more

Huddersfield sign Durm

first_imgHuddersfield have confirmed the signing of German international defender Erik Durm from German giant Borussia Dortmund.The defender has signed a one-year deal with the English club with an option to be extended for a further 12 months.The 26-year-old is reunited with former Borussia Dortmund II boss who signed him for the Bundesliga side the second team back in 2012.“It is not every day you can bring a player with the kinda quality that Erik possesses to the club,” Wagner said, according to Sky Sports.“He has played at the highest level and he is a World Cup winner, so I want to believe it is a good day for our club.”Jan SiewertJan Siewert confirmed as Huddersfield Town boss Henry Ikenna Ugwu – January 21, 2019 English Side Huddersfield have confirmed the appointment of Jan Siewert as their new head coach.English Side Huddersfield have confirmed the appointment Siewert, 36, has…“I know him very well from the time we spent together at Dortmund, he is a smart guy and a very determined one too. I know he can’t wait to get on the pitch to play.”“I’m not surprised he passed our medicals in flying colours, he was very unfortunate with injuries last season but he resumed training with the club just before the end of the season.”“He was one of the fittest guys while I was in Dortmund and he possesses great physical attributes.”He signed for Dortmund as a striker when he first joined the club but he was converted to a full back.Erik Durm can play both full-back positions and will be a very good addition to Huddersfield provided he stays fit.last_img read more

Roberto Firmino gives an update on eye injury

first_imgRoberto Firmino has revealed his eye was not serious after scoring a stoppage-time winner in Liverpool’s 3-2 win over Paris Saint-GermainThe Brazillian striker was made to leave the field during Liverpool’s Premier League encounter with Tottenham on Saturday after defender Jan Vertonghen poked him in the eye.But, after just a three-day absence, Firmino was back in action for the Reds and made his mark by netting a late match-winner in what was his 150th game for the club.Speaking afterwards, Firmino revealed what helped him get through his eye injury.“I thank God that nothing serious happened to my eye,” he told ESPN Brazil.“It has been three days since the incident and recovery went well.“I took it very seriously and my family helped to motivate me, I am very happy for it.Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.“The team showed great quality on the pitch, we conceded twice but it was a great victory in the end.“We are working hard to achieve something important [in the Champions League].Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp only decided on Tuesday morning to include Firmino in the squad and later put on the field as a 72nd-minute substitute for Daniel Sturridge.“How I said, the day before yesterday it was no chance, yesterday it didn’t look really well, and we had only one session, which we really used,” Klopp said on ESPN.“That was this morning and Bobby tested a little bit but then he went in. And I really think it is a moment where you have to show faith in the squad.“Yes, when you have Bobby Firmino available you actually always think: ‘Come on, bring him in.’ But it was nice to see how Daniel [Sturridge] performed tonight and he paid 100 percent back so that’s so cool for him, for us, such an important sign.“Then bringing Bobby after 70 minutes, it’s a nice tool to be honest, I really like that. So it was good.”last_img read more