EE to spend £275M on improving mobile voice calls

first_img Related Previous ArticleKik hits 100M users as Cards take offNext ArticleQualcomm names next CEO AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 13 DEC 2013 Ken Wieland EE crowns UK gaming, video experience BT consumer boss opens net neutrality debate EE, Nokia push emergency support to the skies Home EE to spend £275M on improving mobile voice calls Tags EETechnology Author EE, the largest mobile operator in the UK, said it will splash out £275 million on boosting the quality and reliability of mobile voice calls during 2014.The aim, said the operator, is a dropped call rate of 0.5 per cent by the end of 2014 and to meet international benchmarks.“While we consistently outperform on the standard UK benchmark for voice call quality and reliability, I don’t believe the benchmark is right,” said Olaf Swantee, EE’s CEO.“I think the UK mobile industry can do better, and we intend to improve the experience for our customers, taking our quality and reliability to levels to those achieved by other operators across Europe,” he continued.Swantee added that EE had already reached its highest-ever call success rate (99.2 per cent) and carries more than one billion calls every week.The work scheduled for 2014 includes upgrading more than 5,000 2G sites; increasing capacity on 5,500 sites on the 3G network (which now carries more than two thirds of all EE calls); and trialling future call services, including VoLTE and voice over Wi-Fi.EE said it had already upgraded 20-year-old 2G equipment on over 6,000 sites “with the latest technology” to reduce dropped calls by 50 per cent, while increasing the capacity on 1,600 3G sites to support 50 per cent more calls.The operator has also installed a new HLR (home location register) database aimed at increasing call set-up success.EE said the volume of calls on its network has increased 25 per cent since the beginning of 2012. Ken has been part of the MWC Mobile World Daily editorial team for the last three years, and is now contributing regularly to Mobile World Live. He has been a telecoms journalist for over 15 years, which includes eight…More Read more last_img read more

Spotted: Jumbo Heavy Lifter Back in Business

first_imgThe Netherlands-based Damen Shiprepair Van Brink Rotterdam has completed a three-week repair project on the Jumbo Javelin, a DP2 Heavy Lift Crane Vessel owned and operated by its compatriot shipping company Jumbo. The major aspect of the repair was the replacement of the frames of 15 box coolers. To minimize the time spent in dock, 12 of these were prefabricated prior to the Jumbo Javelin arriving at Van Brink, and the remaining three were built during the docking period.Additional works included a modification to an existing tweendeck and the repair and repositioning of the exhaust pipe stack.The vessel was built at Damen Shipyards Galati in 2004, along with three similar vessels for the same owner. With a free deckspace of 3,100 square meters, the Jumbo Javelin features a length of 144.41 meters and a width of 26.7 meters.The 13,278 dwt Javelin recently transported two large accommodation modules from Croatia to Cameroon, next to general heavy-lifting assignments.Together, the Jumbo Javelin, Fairplayer, Fairpartner and Jumbo Jubilee make up the Jumbo J-Class fleet.Image & Video Courtesy: Damenlast_img read more

New Barbuda ferry suspended

first_img Tweet Share NewsRegional New Barbuda ferry suspended by: – August 13, 2018 43 Views   no discussions (Antigua Observer) The new ferry service between Antigua and Barbuda, which was launched on July 21 has stopped operating as of Saturday August 11.On Friday, a notice on the facebook page of the Lady Carolina ferry service informed customers that due to unforeseen circumstance the service will be continued from Saturday.Several customers have responded to the notice expressing shock and disappointment.The termination of the service is meant to be temporary, a source has confirmed.No further detail was provided for the sudden closure of the service, the company only cited unforeseen circumstances.This newspaper has since been informed that the move is to allow the company to handle housekeeping matters.According to our source, the ferry must also be reregistered in the British Virgin Islands in short order, However, patrons can look forward to the service restarting for the upcoming tourist season.The company, which is marketed as luxurious and affordable, provided daily trips to Barbuda, complementing the Barbuda Express which is used as the primary source of travel to the sister island.The owners of the Barbuda Express have indicated they will operating as normal to accommodate Barbudans wishing to travel between both islands.center_img Sharing is caring! Share Sharelast_img read more