Eighteen teams will take part in a weeklong soccer and kickball tournament in honor of Brownie J. Samukai Jr., Minister of National Defense in Barnersville, Mountserrado County Electoral District #11, outside Monrovia.The tournament began on Friday, October 1, with a parade through the eighteen community blocks in Barnesville with their respective leaders.Richard Menah Gaye of Barnesville Township, who is also chairman of the eighteen community chairmen, said the tournament is the beginning of a series of activities Minister Samukai has planned to bring members of the community together. The tournament, Mr. Gaye said, will run from October 1 to October 11, and the winner will walk away with a giant-sized golden trophy. He therefore called on members of the participating teams to remain united and disciplined; a behavior, which he said, residents have recorded over the years about Barnersville.Nathaniel T. Solo, the tournament’s Steering Committee chairman, said this year’s tournament will achieve the tournaments’ objective, adding: “we have involved the 18 communities’ chairpersons and have also requested the Liberia Football Association to supervise the soccer portion of the game.”He said before the two finalists meet on Tuesday, October 11, the community will have an exhibition match between officers of the Liberia National Police (LNP) assigned in Barnersville and the community’s All Stars.Jackson T. Julu Toe, youth representative at Friday’s opening ceremony, expressed gratitude to Minister Samukai for his “farsightedness to bring the community together as he did during the 2014 Ebola outbreak.”“We embrace the idea because it would preach discipline and unity in the minds of residents,” Toe said.All the games will be played at the Kollie FC and the Kebah Sport Pitches, West and South of Barnersville respectively.Meanwhile, in the opening matches on Friday, Darmanwolor defeated Palm Hill 3-1 in post-match penalty in soccer and Darmanwolor girls forfeited the kickball point because they did not show-up.On Sunday (yesterday), E.J. Goodridge was awarded free points due to the absence of 1407 Block ‘B’ team. In kickball, a similar decision was taken in favor of E.J. Goodridge.In the second game Behwein defeated Lulu Pennoh 4-1. For kickball, however, the two teams did not show up for their scheduled encounter.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
A member and former official of the Press Union of Liberia (PUL), Journalist Jonathan Paye-Layleh, has declared that he may no longer agree to serve on any committee set up by the leadership of the union until he has seen some convincing improvements in the way and manner many members of the union have treated their own organization over the years.He said he is saddened and disappointed that most of the journalists who turned out in Ganta over the weekend for the union’s 5th National Congress showed interest only in the election aspect of the congress and shamelessly stayed away from taking part in other critical deliberations for which the congress had been called, including the validation of the new Code of Ethics and the new Media Council for journalists as well as the financial report of the outgoing leadership.Mr. Paye-Layleh was on the committees that spent several weeks drafting the Press Union’s new Code of Ethics as well as the Union’s new Media Council protocol. But the committees made their presentations to an almost empty hall.A member of the PUL since 1987, Mr. Paye-Layleh observed that at some point in Ganta, there were less than 30 journalists in the hall deliberating on key issues, including the Codes, even though more than four hundred journalists went to the congress.“If the sole purpose of our going to Nimba was to elect a new corps of officers,” he said, “we would not have abandoned everything to spend whole three days in the county.”Mr. Paye-Layleh expressed particular disappointment that even some media practitioners who contested key positions were among those staying away from sessions in which critical matters, including the outgoing leadership’s financial report, the validation of the Union’s new Code of Ethics and newMedia Council were deliberated on.In a press release, he wondered how people desirous of heading an institution could themselves decide to boycott sessions deliberating on issues that are very important and completely new in the history of the institution.Paye-Layleh, a former chairman of the Press Club of the Press Union, said he will continue to be a committed and dues-paying member of the PUL. But in view of the frustration just expressed, he may no longer use his energy to sit on any PUL committee until the membership has shown that the Union is a serious body.“We have to take ourselves seriously before others take us seriously,” his press release concluded.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
DISCLAIMER: Like the Amazon Fire phone, this is just a joke!Apple unveiled some top notch new gadgets this week, but there was one iPhone 6 feature kept hidden… SiRoy!Tim Cook was tight-lipped about this development, but we’ve got a sneak peek in the video above.SiRoy understands what you say, knows what you mean and even talks back… especially if you are a journalist throwing silly little stats around, trying to prove England were rubbish v Norway.Who needs the Apple Watch, when you can get the Apple Hodg!WARNING: SiRoy may not work in Liverpool.
For more cops and crime news, check out It’s a Crime. The Los Angeles city attorney’s office says it has filed misdemeanor DUI charges against actor Kiefer Sutherland. City attorney spokesman Nick Velasquez says the star of “24 was charged Friday with one count each of driving under the influence and driving with a blood-alcohol level of .08 or above. If convicted, he faces up to a year in jail. Sutherland was also charged with a second DUI offense within 10 years, which could add as much as six months to his sentence if he is convicted. The 40-year-old actor was pulled over Tuesday after leaving a Hollywood party at the trendy Area nightclub. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Former Chelsea first-team doctor Eva Carneiro 1 Chelsea legend Graeme Le Saux fears Jose Mourinho’s criticism of Eva Carneiro and the subsequent fallout will discourage women from pursuing a career in football.Former Blues and England defender Le Saux, who sits on the Football Association inclusion advisory board, suggested the game has “gone back 30 years” because of the saga.Club doctor Carneiro left her role with Chelsea following a clash with manager Mourinho after she and physio Jon Hearn ran on to treat Eden Hazard late in the draw with Swansea on August 8.Mourinho slammed his medical staff for temporarily reducing his side to nine men, calling his medical staff “impulsive and naive”.The manager, who is under pressure following a terrible start to the season for the Blues, was told last month he would face no action from the FA over allegations he made discriminatory comments towards Carneiro.However Le Saux believes significant damage has been inflicted on the game by the episode.He said in The Times: “What concerns me most, given the work I’m doing for the FA, is the impact Mourinho’s behaviour may have throughout the whole game.“We’re trying to deal with some very sensitive issues and to change the culture of the game.“Some good people at the FA have taken a kicking after concluding there was insufficient evidence to charge Mourinho, whilst the whole furore may also deter women from becoming involved in football, as well as discouraging clubs from employing them.“A lot of people are working very hard to get the game in a better place, but after the last few weeks it feels as if we’ve gone back 30 years.”World governing body FIFA said it would draw up a new code of practice for team doctors in the wake of the controversy, while Carneiro found support from the Football Medical Association.Heather Rabbatts, who heads the FA inclusion advisory board, recently declared herself ”seriously disappointed” with the FA’s handling of the case.Le Saux said: “As someone who was privileged to play for Chelsea for 12 years, I’m saddened that it has come to this. If what started out as a straightforward employer-employee issue had been handled differently, these negative issues would not have arisen.“The biggest disappointment for me is that Mourinho doesn’t seem to have reflected on the damage he has done to his own image, the reputation of the club and, more important, the reputation of the entire game.”
Ahead of Manchester United’s derby showdown with Manchester City, the Red Devils’ famed ‘Class of 92’ have described matches against Liverpool as bigger and better games to play in.Ahead of the release of their book Class of 92: Out of Our League, United legends Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, Nicky Butt and Phil Neville got together for a special edition of talkSPORT’s Players’ Lounge show, to be broadcast at 7pm on Friday 9 September, and they pulled no punches when discussing the subject of derby matches.“The derby’s a massive game for us but there’s so much pressure on it,” said Butt.“it’s hard to enjoy it until you’ve actually won it, that’s certainly the way I felt about it.“I much preferred playing against Liverpool if I’m honest. Liverpool, Leeds, them kind of games were the games I liked to play in.”“City weren’t really challenging us when we were playing, though,” explained Gary Neville.“Before the last few years they were in the Championship, League One at times, they were down the bottom so it was never really the biggest game.“Liverpool was always the biggest game.”Listen to the full interview with Manchester United’s ‘Class of 92’ on talkSPORT’s ‘Players’ Lounge’ show on Friday 9 September, from 7pm UK time.‘MOURINHO’S TEAMS MAY NOT ALWAYS ENTERTAIN, BUT THEY WIN’ – READ PAUL SCHOLES’ VIEWS ON THE NEW OLD TRAFFORD REGIMEREVEALED! WHY MAN UNITED NOW HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN THE TITLE – FULL STORY HERE Gary Neville getting stuck in to Man City in 2006 1
1 Antonio Conte insists he wants to remain as Chelsea manager and feels there must be collective responsibility for recent poor results, including their ‘totally negative’ performance against Watford.Conte’s Premier League champions have endured a torrid past two weeks, losing 3-0 at home to Bournemouth before being thrashed 4-1 by the Hornets at Vicarage Road.The under-pressure Italian, who called for a public vote of confidence from the club during that period, admitted confidence among his squad is low ahead of Monday’s game with bottom club West Brom and knows their form must improve.“I’m not thinking for only one moment about the possibility of going away from this club. I repeat, my commitment is totally for this club, like that of my players,” said Conte.“But, as you know very well, because we are talking about football, a lot of times – I don’t agree with this – the coach depends on the results.“For this reason, we have to pay great attention.“When you have this period with such poor results, you have to divide the responsibility between me, the players and the club.“We have to try to stop this bad run and to try to get three points against West Brom.“It won’t be easy because in this type of situation the confidence is not high but we have to trust in our work.”Conte opted to give his players three days off following Monday’s late collapse at Vicarage Road when they conceded three times in the final six minutes.With a two-legged Champions League tie against Barcelona coming up, Conte felt this week was a rare opportunity for his players to have a break.“I think it was the only moment in the season to give them a rest. I think in the future it will be very important to try (to create) a little space, a little room with the federation (FA) to try to give rest to the players,” he said.Speaking about the performance at Vicarage Road, he added: “I think Watford was a really bad game but it can happen. Our performance was totally negative.“The performance was negative from the start and we didn’t create the chances to score. I think that the coach has to understand and try to find the best solution to avoid this type of situation. I didn’t like the Watford performance.” Chelsea manager Antonio Conte
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’“This disparity between DWP wages and city wages is causing tremendous dissatisfaction among our workers,” he said. “They do the exact same work. They both work for the city. The city has to do something meaningful to address this disparity.” Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has made clear from the start he will not revisit a contract imposed in August that called for a retroactive 4 percent raise, with an additional 2.25 percent increase in 2007. About 75 members of a city union seeking renewed contract negotiations protested at Los Angeles International Airport on Sunday during one of the busiest travel days of the year, authorities said. Members of the Engineers and Architects Association chanted slogans and waved picket signs outside the departure areas of two airport terminals, said Robert Aquino, executive director of the 7,400-member union. While three protesters were cited for blocking traffic, the demonstration was largely peaceful and not disruptive, police spokeswoman Martha Garcia said. Aquino said the union is seeking a contract with annual pay increases of 3.25 percent to 6 percent – similar to raises recently awarded Department of Water and Power employees. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“At the moment too many passes are going back the way but it will come. We’ll work at it on the training field and we’ll look to find the solution. “But of course whilst you are it’s very important that you continue to win and to get a 1-0 win in a European game, and everyone was telling us before the game that Celtic have never won their first group game and we did that, was very important. It was an important three points for us.”The manager praised Griffiths’ contribution but also highlighted the team’s solidity.“I was very happy with the goal,” he said. “It was a great win in relation to our spirit in the game and our persistence to keep going to the very end.” Brendan Rodgers hailed a “great win” for Celtic over Rosenborg in the Europa League but admitted the team will be working to improve on their performances.A goal from Leigh Griffiths three minutes from time earned Celtic three points and gave them their first ever victory in the opening game of a group stage. However, fans had grown furstrated as Celtic failed to break down opposition they had defeated 3-1 earlier in the season and Rodgers conceded his side had been close to drawing a game they needed to win.“It looked it,” he said. “But you’ve got to keep going. “I understand with the supporters who have been used in the last couple of years to the team being a bit more dynamic and a bit faster and a bit better in our attacking moments. “Five clean sheets in a row as well which is good. They didn’t get a shot on target against us so we’ll take the three points and be pleased.”Rodgers stressed the importance of better overall performances and said that he would never be satisfied with just results regardless of the team’s play. He said that while it was crucial that the team continued to get positive scorelines, the work to get back into an attacking groove would continue.“Whilst you’re looking for it, I think you’re always looking at the confidence of players,” he said. “Of course that comes through winning games.“For me it’s very important our performance level. It’s not just about winning, we have a way in which we like to win. “You can never score the perfect goal all the time and if that’s something that we’re searching and looking for then it’s not going to happen. So like tonight, when you’re not on the top of your game, if you can then defend well and score the opportunity that comes then you accept that. “But we’re always searching to play a better level of football and that’s something that we’ve always done and something we’ll get back to.”
8 August 2005South Africa’s second Regional Electricity Distributor (RED) is scheduled for launching in Gauteng province early in 2006. The first, known as RED One, was signed into operation in Cape Town in July.Plans are to set up six such distributors across the country, combining the distribution function of power utility Eskom with that of 187 municipalities already distributing electricity in the country.RED Two will service Ekurhuleni, Motheo District Municipality, Mangaung, Matjabeng, Maluti-A-Phofung, Metsimaholo, Sol Plaatjie, Gamagara and Dikgatlong Local Municipalities.This is according to EDI Holdings CEO Phindile Nzimande, who briefed the National Members Assembly of the South African Local Government Association (Salga) in Cape Town on Friday.“The target is to launch the second RED towards early 2006,” Nzimande said. “The sequencing is being finalised and an announcement will be made by the Department of Minerals and Energy.”EDI Holdings is a public entity set up by government to oversee the establishment of the distributors.“The establishment of REDs needs to be done in a way that will ensure service delivery in an efficient and sustainable manner,” Nzimande added.The distributors are established primarily to provide competitive electricity tariffs and offer an efficient service.They comprise Eskom’s distribution and local authorities. The latter will buy electricity from power generators such as Eskom at wholesale prices determined by the National Electricity Regulator.Explaining progress made thus far in the establishment of the other REDs, Nzimande said that 33 municipalities had signed cooperative agreements as at January 2005, with 25 still in negotiations.In his 2004 State of the Nation Address, President Thabo Mbeki said the process of establishing these structures would be completed by January 2007.Source: BuaNews